A Wonderful Afternoon Exploring Highlights of the Marvellous Dordogne
- Explore Domme, officially rated as one of the most beautiful villages of France
- Enjoy a boat ride down the spectacular Dordogne River
- English-speaking, hand-picked, local expert guides
VILLAGES OF THE DORDOGNE
The Highlights of the Dordogne in One Short Tour
Drive to the beautiful village of Domme. With its trapezoid city plan, Domme is a bastide, or a fortified medieval town, adapted to the surrounding terrain, and thus falling short of the rectangular city plan characteristic to bastides. The village is classified as one of the “Plus Beaux Villages de France” (“The Most Beautiful Villages of France”). In 1307, Knight Templars were imprisoned in Domme while during the Hundred Years’ War, the bastide was coveted by the English who first took the town in 1347 and repeatedly changed rulers throughout the war until 1437 when it finally fell under French rule again. Then drive to La Roque Gageac and enjoy a peaceful cruise on the the Dordogne River on board an authentic Gabarre to admire mighty castles that line the river.
Finally, reach Beynac to admire the village and the Castle. This Middle Ages construction, with its austere appearance, is perched on top of a limestone cliff, dominating the town and the north bank of the Dordogne River. The castle was built in the 12th century by the barons of Beynac (one of the four baronies of Périgord) to close the valley. The sheer cliff face being sufficient to discourage any assault from that side, the defences were built up on the plateau: double crenelated walls, double moats, one of which was a deepened natural ravine, double barbican. See architectural phenomenon, aided by nature, and discover more about the history of this unusual city on this half-day tour!
Price: $100 Per Adult (from 13 years old)
When: From 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Everyday - From April 1 to October 31 2020 - Note: This tour is not available in August.
Duration: 4 hours
Trip style: Shared sightseeing tour
Minimum 2 people, maximum 8
In Sarlat la Caneda: Pick up Place Pasteur Bus stop.
Hotel pickup not available
Tour returns at the departure point
- Guided walking tour of the villages
- 1-hour boat ride on the Dordogne River
- English-speaking driver-guide
- Travel in recent, comfortable & fully equipped minivan
- Bottled water in the minivan
- Free WiFi access onboard
- Personal insurance & expenses
- Meals & drinks
- Entrance fees to monuments or attractions unless mentioned in the program
- Gratuities for the driver/guide