A Full Day Exploration of This Historical Gem
- This deep-dive is perfect for history buffs
- Visit the state-of-the-art Lascaux IV complex
- The Rouffignac Cave visit will bring you up close with this incredible history
- English-speaking, hand-picked, local expert guides
A Full Day Exploring the Fascinating History of the Cave Paintings of the Dordogne
Some 15,000 years B.C. unknown artists created breathtaking cave paintings of which the most extraordinary examples are found in the Dordogne area. During this day tour you will be introduced to this fascinating art and to the people who made it.
Begin the day in Les Eyzies de Tayac for a guided visit of the National Prehistory Museum. Opened in 2004, this national museum possesses the largest collection of prehistoric artifacts in the world.
Continue to Montignac where you will visit Lascaux IV cave, a perfect reproduction of the original cave. Opened in 2016, Lascaux IV is a triumph of technology. Unlike any other cave visits, Lascaux IV employs different set designs, displays, state-of-the-art interactive workshops and immersive technology to bring it to life. In fact, the atmosphere inside the replica cave is just like that of a real cave: dark, damp and muffled.
Finally, end the tour with the visit of Rouffignac Cave that possesses original and authentic etchings and drawings. The Rouffignac cave was already mentioned in 1575 by François de Belleforest. In his Cosmographie universelle he cites “paintings and animal traces”. In the 19th century the cave was known as a tourist attraction. Famous archaeologists like Henry Breuil, André Glory and Martel had visited the cave in the early 20th century, but it was only in 1956 when Louis-René Nougier and Romain Robert, two prehistorians from the Pyrenees, rediscovered and confirmed the cave art. After the visit, return to Sarlat.
When: Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday
From 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Available from April to October
Note: This tour departs at 8:30 AM in July and is not available in August
Duration: 9 hours
Trip style: Shared cultural tour
Minimum 2 people, maximum 8
Meeting Point: In Sarlat la Caneda: Pick up Place Pasteur Bus stop
Hotel pick not available
Tour returns at the departure point
- Entrance to Lascaux IV
- Entrance to Rouffignac cave
- English visit of the Prehistory museum
- English-speaking driver guide
- Travel in recent, comfortable & fully equipped minivans
- Free WiFi access on board
- Personal insurance & expenses
- Gratuities for the driver/guide
- Meals & drinks
- Entrance fees to monuments or attractions other than those mentioned